Author Topic: *Discussion* What are some Server Features you absolutely detest?  (Read 1826 times)

Legacy__Guile

*Discussion* What are some Server Features you absolutely detest?
« on: September 21, 2011, 08:24:18 am »

I know this will probably not go down well, but alas, just like the last disucssion, module builders need to know what you hate, just as much as those things you like....  Please stay on topic and DO NOT bash other players for their views, thanks.

Anyway, discuss...

Modifié par _Guile, 21 septembre 2011 - 07:24 .

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 09:32:44 am »

in this order
1) fatigue
2) restricted multiclassing where some classes can be only dual or even single lol
3) DM quest enforced prestige classes
4) ultra restricted rest where you need blanket, food, water and there is only few places where you can rest and you cannot repeat rest until 1IRL hour
5) ultra easy creatures and ultra experiences for them, also grinding on dragons is really something I dont like to see or feel
6) loot system where EVERY monster drops few coins aka 3T especially if that monster has looong decay time, thats just idiotic
7) restricted maximal level for whatever reason
8) several feats disabled while others not, example: no devast but still ED!
9) specific weapons disabled like kamas
10) xp system that gives penalty for using familiar/animal and that gives penalty for being in party

Legacy__Guile

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 02:39:32 pm »

I'd have to agree that nerfs are by and large greatly hated in general..

Legacy_Queensilverwing

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:43:54 pm »

ShaDoOoW wrote...

5) ultra easy creatures and ultra experiences for them, also grinding on dragons is really something I dont like to see or feel

*Roars with laughter* No one should ever have to grind on a dragon! ':devil:'

Dragons should really only be used for mega reward, at the end of a veeeeeeery long journey. Far too many dragons placed in silly little caves that simply have no back door!

*wrinkles her snout and taps her talons*

Apart from the above, what I really hate are those blasted loot bags/chests/barrells/boxes that have 1GP in them. I just disarmed a nasty trap, used my lock picks to great effect, and my reward is 1GP? ':crying:' *Snorts*

Oh yes, playable races - well TBH, I find the whole idea that you have to earn the right to be some winged creature, or a PC with horns and tail wrong. If the races are in the world, why should I not be able as a new player to play that race? Why does it have to be a reward? Pfft, It smacks of elitism and turns me off from ever wanting to be a part of that club ':?'

Modifié par Queensilverwing, 21 septembre 2011 - 07:44 .

Legacy_Rolo Kipp

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:11:40 pm »

<taking notes...>

Queensilverwing wrote...
*Roars with laughter* No one should ever have to grind on a dragon! ':devil:'

The mind boggles!

Dragons should really only be used for mega reward, at the end of a veeeeeeery long journey. Far too many dragons placed in silly little caves that simply have no back door!

*wrinkles her snout and taps her talons*

And, my personal dislike, dragons are run so stupidly! Here you have what is arguably the deadliest biological fighting machine in existence, and it acts like a spell-casting dog. A rather dim-witted dog. >:-P

Apart from the above, what I really hate are those blasted loot bags/chests/barrells/boxes that have 1GP in them. I just disarmed a nasty trap, used my lock picks to great effect, and my reward is 1GP? ':crying:' *Snorts*

<tries not to look quilty> I *did* see them first, you know...

Oh yes, playable races - well TBH, I find the whole idea that you have to earn the right to be some winged creature, or a PC with horns and tail wrong. If the races are in the world, why should I not be able as a new player to play that race? Why does it have to be a reward? Pfft, It smacks of elitism and turns me off from ever wanting to be a part of that club ':?'

Please take it this in the humor I intend...

On Amethyst, which has a very *long* backstory, the Elven race has a secret. A big secret. I do not let new players play elves until I know I can trust them not to behave... er, "tolkein-ish". My elves are... not terribly nice ;->

Then, also, I don't trust most players to know how to play dragons correctly :-)
So I reserve them for DMs... I promised oh-so-long-ago that any dragon met in Amethyst would have a real living brain behind it. They will never be computer run NPCs.

You *did* ask why someone would limit players... :-)

OTOH, I'm working on ways to remove some restrictions... For instance, the Everyoung (younger, common type of elves) may be playable, as they really aren't in on the Big Secret until they make the Change and become High Elves (around their 5th century)... 

Edit: one more intense dislike. Favoring, even encouraging video-game playstyle by massively rewarding killing. Only killing. Every killing. Killing anything. Ugggh. Can we have a few alternative reward systems? xp = DC for using a skill? xp for finding hidden things? xp for mercy?

Well... I will certainly listen to this thread.
But I am old and curmudgeonly, so I probably will do things my own way any way. :-)

<...because he's low on tinder>

Modifié par Rolo Kipp, 21 septembre 2011 - 08:19 .

Legacy_Queensilverwing

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:40:57 pm »

Rolo Kipp Wrote:

Please take it this in the humor I intend...

On Amethyst, which has a very *long* backstory, the Elven race has a secret. A big secret. I do not let new players play elves until I know I can trust them not to behave... er, "tolkein-ish". My elves are... not terribly nice ;->

*sighs* Yes, Tolkien Elves belong in Tolkiens books. High falutin, never been nose to nose with boars spore, knock kneed skinny SMALL creatures... *Waggles head* ...and they are supposed to be all wise. ppbbft!

Evil Elves sound far better, non-drow evil elves!

Then, also, I don't trust most players to know how to play dragons correctly :-)
So I reserve them for DMs... I promised oh-so-long-ago that any dragon met in Amethyst would have a real living brain behind it. They will never be computer run NPCs.

You *did* ask why someone would limit players... :-)

Yes, stupid dragons who cast a ton of spells and forget to use their talons, tail, horns and knashers! Just because we are magical beings does -not- mean we sling magic about like a washer woman pounding her man's underwear on a rock.

Oh, and servers that use dragons as tourist information, now that is just plain absurd.

*Drops a stake she was using as a tooth pick* I'm done with it.

Modifié par Queensilverwing, 21 septembre 2011 - 08:44 .

Legacy_MrZork

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 09:48:57 pm »

Lots of notes here with which I agree.

For my personal peeve, I tend to shy from servers with too many spell nerfs. There are lots of things to look for when hunting for a PW to try, and I try and read through the FAQs. But, as someone who likes playing wizards, seeing more than a couple of my stand-by spells nerfed usually means not giving that server a try. Not fair of me, really, because I am sure some of those servers might be great fun. But, it can be tough going to get a wizard to the point where they are really effective and it's a real disincentive to see that my favorite long-lasting buffs are now 1 round/level, etc.

Legacy_Elhanan

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 09:55:49 pm »

Favoritism, apathy, indifference, and being ignored on the Server (be it by other Players, Staff, or DM's) are all subjective issues I tend to avoid. Being part of a PW that avoids such things is far more appealing.

Modifié par Elhanan, 21 septembre 2011 - 08:56 .

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 10:31:16 pm »

(0) Annoying staff and players. - but that is likely true for everyone so lets ignore it.
(1) Weak setting.

Whether it is a hack and slash or a role play server, I log into a PW for immersion in another world. If the setting is a cheap knock off, unimaginative, poorly crafted, or whatever I couldn't care less about the systems the world has, what spells are available etc... In fact, a well conceived world is still a fun diversion for me even if the scripted game systems are a PITA.

"Server features" should be a secondary or tertiary consideration when working on a PW. NWN is not interesting enough as a game. The interface and mechanics hard coded into it were never appealing to me. And 10 years later I'd be surprised if they feel novel to anyone at this point. I don't want to be reminded of game mechanics in a PW, I just want to play in another world for awhile.

Legacy_Rolo Kipp

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 10:41:31 pm »

<backpeddling furiously...>

Queensilverwing wrote...
*sighs* Yes, Tolkien Elves belong in Tolkiens books. High falutin, never been nose to nose with boars spore, knock kneed skinny SMALL creatures... *Waggles head* ...and they are supposed to be all wise. ppbbft!

Evil Elves sound far better, non-drow evil elves!

Not *evil*... just with a completely different agenda. Even the Twisted Ones sub-race (look like Drow - Dark skin/white hair is stigmata from being cannibals) aren't evil, exactly... it's an *honor* to be invited to a feast...

Yes, stupid dragons who cast a ton of spells and forget to use their talons, tail, horns and knashers! Just because we are magical beings does -not- mean we sling magic about like a washer woman pounding her man's underwear on a rock.

Oh, and servers that use dragons as tourist information, now that is just plain absurd.

*Drops a stake she was using as a tooth pick* I'm done with it.

Hey! That was polished and oiled zebrawood! Mpph. Woulda made a nice staff...

And *don't* get me started on the difference between Metallic and Chromatic dragons and the ball that Bioware *completely* fumbled! Did they even *look* in the Monster Manual? Think about the origin of myths? Eastern vs Western mythos? >:-(

I *will* be re-doing Metallic dragons and their AI...

<...as the Proud Rock tips slowly toward the gorge>

Legacy_Rolo Kipp

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 10:47:31 pm »

<looking old...>

henesua wrote...
(0) Annoying staff and players. - but that is likely true for everyone so lets ignore it.
(1) Weak setting.

Whether it is a hack and slash or a role play server, I log into a PW for immersion in another world. If the setting is a cheap knock off, unimaginative, poorly crafted, or whatever I couldn't care less about the systems the world has, what spells are available etc... In fact, a well conceived world is still a fun diversion for me even if the scripted game systems are a PITA.

Gaia, I hope so :-) That's all I have to offer...

"Server features" should be a secondary or tertiary consideration when working on a PW. NWN is not interesting enough as a game. The interface and mechanics hard coded into it were never appealing to me. And 10 years later I'd be surprised if they feel novel to anyone at this point. I don't want to be reminded of game mechanics in a PW, I just want to play in another world for awhile.

Well, they actually are a bit novel for me :-P That ten year hiatus away from technology changed a lot of things for me... but it *did* keep NwN fresh! :-)

I'm so glad you stuck around!
Wish more of the Nexus and the Gemworlds had:-(
(Elhanon The Ancient One is the only name I recognize from the Interplay boards)

<...and feeling older>

Modifié par Rolo Kipp, 21 septembre 2011 - 11:39 .

Legacy_ffbj

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 12:42:37 am »

Things like food, taking off your armor to rest.  You are just sitting down for 30 seconds not crawling into bed for 8 hours.  Most things that really offer little except annoyance to the players.
Constant spam messages about inconsequential things.  Going into areas that little or nothing spawns in.  Those sort of window dressing  areas that aren't really anything special just so the owners can say we have over 'large number here'  areas.

Legacy__Guile

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 02:10:27 am »

ffbj wrote...

Things like food, taking off your armor to rest.  You are just sitting down for 30 seconds not crawling into bed for 8 hours.  Most things that really offer little except annoyance to the players.
Constant spam messages about inconsequential things.  Going into areas that little or nothing spawns in.  Those sort of window dressing  areas that aren't really anything special just so the owners can say we have over 'large number here'  areas.

I would rather play on a server with 40 well developed areas than a server with 400 areas with almost no interaction in 75% of the module.. No thanks..

That's a common problem that plagues a lot of the Action Servers, but then there is the flip side, the RP servers who tend to overdo it some times in some areas, or they put too much emphasis on areas design and forget the most important part, the actual interactions!  Interactions are not limited to encounters, and really shouldn't be..

I suppose the biggest one for me is, the "dead" server, the one where there may be 1-20 players on, but you rarely see a DM on, if ever...  You know you aren't going to get to play around much, just run the module, grind grind grind!

If I see nerf en mass or restricted rest, I just leave, I'm completely against playing in a ultra-realism world too.

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 02:29:43 pm »

oh and found some more:
- timed XP for roleplaying doing nothing
- no XP for killing (challenging ofc) monsters
- restricted ammount of time you can play - yes i have seen this already as a prevention from powergamers lol
- character aging and penalties from age
- ultra overpriced items in shops (compared to average gold gain) like at 3T - this just leads to saving money as long as possible and not buying items from start where you can play just with buffs (vestment, gmw, flame)

Legacy_SuperFly_2000

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 02:44:16 pm »

ffbj wrote...
Going into areas that little or nothing spawns in. Those sort of window dressing areas that aren't really anything special just so the owners can say we have over 'large number here' areas.

Yeah....or just to show of some new cool tileset or tileset group they have...

...forgetting that the area actually needs to contain somehting else than eyecandy. All too common...