Author Topic: Melee attacks against more than one foe?  (Read 578 times)

Legacy_diagnull

Melee attacks against more than one foe?
« on: June 22, 2011, 03:34:38 pm »

Pretty sure I know the answer to this (I mave have asked before actually), but are there any melee attacks (for any class) that target multiple foes? 

Seems kind of unfair that casters can target a group, but melee characters have to face down groups one by one.

(Although, I guess that's for balance.)

Thanks!

-D

Legacy_UrkOfGreyhawk

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 03:40:48 pm »

Fighters will eventually get Cleave and Great Cleave. This allows them extra attacks after killing foes. Great Cleave is particularly fun against weaker foes as it allows you to cut through them like you're chopping wood.

Baaleos

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 04:44:36 pm »

Whirlwind attack attacks Player Based AoE Foes.

Legacy_Malagant

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 04:55:24 pm »

Seems kind of unfair that casters can target a group, but melee characters have to face down groups one by one.

Have you ever tried fighting a group of people in real life? How is this unfair? Granted you do have certain feats available to you that allow you to modify this a bit but I don't get the logic behind calling this unfair. I would think it would be unfair to allow normal melee attacks to have an area effect; I would find it to be fairly nonsensical.

Legacy_diagnull

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 05:53:01 pm »

I know about cleave but that's more "one at a time" rather than attacking a group.

Forgot about Whirlwind. Isn't it bugged though?

Legacy_Guest_Lowlander_*

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 06:35:49 pm »

There are no AOE/splash damage melee attacks that I am aware of but a variety of attack another in rapid succession:

Cleave: Give you a free extra attack when you kill your current foe

Great Cleave: Can keep cleave going beyond one foe. Great fun if surrounded by goblins as you can mow down all within reach in one round if you do enough damage per hit.

Circle Kick: Hit with unarmed attack, get a free attack on another enemy. IMO this one is terrible because you will most likely switch focus to the second enemy.

Whirlwind attack: A full BAB attack against everyone within 5 feet of you. Not currently bugged AFAIK, but you don't get sneak attacks if you hit, and you only one attack/target.

Legacy_Aleron

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 09:40:57 pm »

Whirlwind can bug if you que up too many at once. Essentially what occurs is you end up stuck and doing nothing. The way to prevent this for the most part is to only ever que one whirlwind attack, wait for it to finish, then que another.

The only other thing that comes to mind for being able to damage multiple opponents in melee is a weapon with an on hit property like lightning bolt or fireball. Rather rare suffice to say and depending on PvP settings and the spell...you could end up frying yourself too. My old priest had a custom sword with gust of wind on hit which was loads of fun...when he didn't knock himself down (He learned to use spell resistance to avoid this).