Author Topic: Spellcaster builds  (Read 3006 times)

Legacy_qaerinju

Spellcaster builds
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 08:15:39 am »

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Shapechange

Legacy_avado

Spellcaster builds
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 03:40:32 pm »

qaerinju wrote...

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Shapechange

SOrry but that doesnt show how you can take a character and end wit 18 wisdom, 29 charisma and dex of 36 (for your +19 dex ac boost).  Con-man?  i guess so.

Legacy_Rich J

Spellcaster builds
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 06:11:12 am »

Wow, quite a lot of spellcaster info.

I've given up on Wiz 10/ PM 30, because you can't get 6th-level or higher spells. Supposedly you can do metamagic spells and get maximized offensive spells at 8th level, but who cares about that?

I did a Cleric 25 / sorc 1 / RDD 10 (up to level 36 before I got bored), it really rocked. AB of +74 and routine damage of over 100/hit, criticals up to like 280 hp. This combo is hard to beat, although as others mentiones on here, a sorc 4 or bard 4 is fine in theory.

I'm gonna try the Cleric / Sorc / RDD with more than 4 levels of Sorc, just not sure exactly how to divide the ability points. Probably WIS 20, CHA 16, STR 26 with something like Cleric 21 / Sorc 9 / RDD 10. This build allows lvl 4 elemental shield and lvl 5 magic shield, and when you have both on, with a decent melee character, it should be pretty good right?

Legacy_qaerinju

Spellcaster builds
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2010, 09:04:57 am »

Rich J wrote...

I've given up on Wiz 10/ PM 30, because you can't get 6th-level or higher spells. Supposedly you can do metamagic spells and get maximized offensive spells at 8th level, but who cares about that?

You can get whatever spells you want provided scrolls are available. In default NWN that build is pointless but there are servers that make it viable by allowing PM levels as caster levels and/or boosting the PM summons.

Legacy_Shia Luck

Spellcaster builds
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 04:33:01 pm »

Rich J wrote...

Wow, quite a lot of spellcaster info.

I've given up on Wiz 10/ PM 30, because you can't get 6th-level or higher spells.

You are misinformed about something...  Ahhh I think you are forgetting that every 2 PM levels is like getting 1 wiz lvl as far as spells per day are concerned.  W10/PM30 is therefore like w25 for spells / day (and it is capped at lvl20 so you get all possible spells per day).

PM30 does not count as +w15 as far as caster level is concerned so damage die are few and duration small. Stick to instant effect spells preferably with no or very difficult saves. Bigby's hands are good choices.

The PM30 summons is a lot of fun... most interesting summons in the game imho.   Can self heal, has lots of nasty spells including greater ruin... extended haste it yourself for best effect.

I'm gonna try the Cleric / Sorc / RDD with more than 4 levels of Sorc, just not sure exactly how to divide the ability points. Probably WIS 20, CHA 16, STR 26 with something like Cleric 21 / Sorc 9 / RDD 10. This build allows lvl 4 elemental shield and lvl 5 magic shield, and when you have both on, with a decent melee character, it should be pretty good right?

well....   For the magic shield tactic to work you want to be getting hit. You also want Damage Reduction which is not a big feature of this build. And to get sorc 9 you are giving up lots of cleric bonus feats and undispellability. And with only 9 sorc levels, the shields wont do that much damage.

I'd say high lvl sorc with cleric 1 or 2 or pal/Bg4 (to get divine shield and might even) with max CHA would work best with the magic shield tactic.  Expertise and divine shield will allow you to adjust AC as you battle, Epic warding and shapechange and premonition give you DR options and you'll have sorc offensive spells with full DC. Also the magic shields will be doing a lot of damage if sorc lvl is 35+. 

Have fun :happy: 

Legacy_Shadooow

Spellcaster builds
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2010, 05:37:54 pm »

Shia Luck wrote...
You are misinformed about something...  Ahhh I think you are forgetting
that every 2 PM levels is like getting 1 wiz lvl as far as spells per
day are concerned.  W10/PM30 is therefore like w25 for spells / day (and
it is capped at lvl20 so you get all possible spells per day).

PM30
does not count as +w15 as far as caster level is concerned so damage
die are few and duration small. Stick to instant effect spells
preferably with no or very difficult saves. Bigby's hands are good
choices.

The PM30 summons is a lot
of fun... most interesting summons in the game imho.   Can self heal,
has lots of nasty spells including greater ruin... extended haste it
yourself for best effect.

Right, but with 30lvl PM you have by default caster level of 10, very short duration or low damage (wouldn't bother take damaging spell with this at all). The summon at 30 may be funny, but levelling this build is really not.

For single player modules, it's playable, but I would not recommend this build to you for persistent worlds until the Pale master class on that PW is somehow improved.

Modifié par ShaDoOoW, 04 septembre 2010 - 04:39 .

Legacy_Shia Luck

Spellcaster builds
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 06:07:15 pm »

Agreed. PM30 needs epic gloves of discipline then you can do Monk6/wiz4/PM30 and dual wield kamas tanking for the demi-lich. All spells need to be bigby's hands or darkness or invis and the like ... a few rounds to enable you to close on the enemy... oh and spell mantles, dispels etc.

But it's not a strong build by any means. Just fun to have a pet demi-Lich *grin*

Legacy_avado

Spellcaster builds
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 12:02:47 am »

Rich J wrote...

I did a Cleric 25 / sorc 1 / RDD 10 (up to level 36 before I got bored), it really rocked. AB of +74 and routine damage of over 100/hit, criticals up to like 280 hp. This combo is hard to beat, although as others mentiones on here, a sorc 4 or bard 4 is fine in theory.

cleric sorc rdd isnt what was suggested (at least not by me).  The ONLY reason to use sorc to get rdd is playing a Paladin and NOT having align shifting.  Otherwise, bard gives you Tumble and UMD and DIs, which are some important skills (sorc cleric and rdd typically have the same skill set).   Tumble gives +8 ac (dodge) which is much more than 4 sorc lvls ever could give the build.

Shields are not a good enough reason to loose 4 cleric lvls.  Esp with the wimpy caster lvl.

charisma of 16 is ridiculous!  10 (after rdd +2 charisma) is more than enough.  You ARent taking sorc NOR bard for spells! 

I think you are mistaken about your AB too.  74 means you have a Naked AB of 54, which, with a 26+12=38 str alittle out of range.  What do i mean?  Assume cleric (25 bab) with 38 st (+14) and 3 ewf and 1 prowess = 43.

That's it.  Now you get +20 = 63 with NO WAY to get any more ab  THAT COUNTS!  The character sheet may say 70 but the game is capped, so your logs will only use 63.  Trust me!  In Epic character builders this was a well discussed topic for YEARS!  In PRC you could get AB of 80's on character sheet (even seen 100ab), alas they arent real. 

Just so we are clear, True strike will NOT add to your ab!  It is meant for wizards to boost ab if they needed it. +20 does not increase the cap and if you are capped already, you just wasted a spell. 

From your comment, i fear i just wasted my breathe as you seem to think sorc>bard in this example (which it is not by a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG shot), but i thought id try to give you the real deal perspective.

Good luck