Author Topic: NWN on SSD?  (Read 2647 times)

Legacy_Jedijax

NWN on SSD?
« on: May 09, 2016, 05:25:38 am »

Has anyone tried this out yet? I have a very rudimentary knowledge of graphics and engines and graphic engines, but, the ever-dreaded "freezing/blurry textures" that seems prevalent in most graphical engines, should be theoretically minimized by installing the game in an SSD. Supposably, it does wonders for Mass Effects, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Ages and any other games that load a lot of high-res and high poly resources on enter. SO, since NWN has this terrible thing where it freezes for a second every time a model is loaded (a creature comes into view or is spawned) I figured it could either be the ultimate solution, or at least should heavily diminish it. Anyone tested this yet? Preferably, with a heavily modified NWN, lots of high-poly models and high-res textures?

Legacy_Empyre65

NWN on SSD?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 11:56:19 pm »

I have been using a SSD for over a year now, and it's great! Even the slowest of SSDs will run circles around the fastest of HDs.

Legacy_Jedijax

NWN on SSD?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 06:59:14 am »

Well, yes, but were you ailing from the freeze/framing bug badly before the SSD? It is deadly especially when many high-poly models come into view. An example would be 5-10 of the skyrim duergar released by... Merricksdad, I believe. Everything freezes for a couple of seconds or more... What I mean is, of course an SSD must make everything run smoother, but does it eliminate/reduce significantly this particular issue?

Legacy_Gruftlord

NWN on SSD?
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 03:31:23 pm »

I would guess that is more an issue with the engine and how it (not) uses the power of your cpu. Don't think an ssd would help. Then again, that shouldn't let you hold out to buy one. It's the single best thing you can do to your PC

Legacy_WiredWraith

NWN on SSD?
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 06:27:16 pm »

I was using a spinner to play SoU and noticed a lot of choppiness in the first few minutes of the game so I copied it over to my 240GB SSD drive.  No more chop chop.  Plays smooth as a baby's bottom dipped in butter now.

Legacy_Jedijax

NWN on SSD?
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 05:38:17 am »

Thanks for the comments, guys! I guess I will only know for sure if I ever can afford an SSD!

Legacy_WiredWraith

NWN on SSD?
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 06:41:30 am »

I saw a 240GB SSD drive on sale recently for around $55 (USD).  Should be easy enough to save your pennies and get one.