Author Topic: NWServer Crashes on Login  (Read 2103 times)

Legacy_BelowTheBelt

NWServer Crashes on Login
« on: April 20, 2016, 02:21:30 am »

Trying to host a module on windows 10 and running up against a problem that I just can't figure out.

The module posts to the internet just fine, but crashes once a player tries to join the game.  

Specifically, a player can join and roll up a PC (the PC shows logged-in in the nwserver GUI).  The player's file saves into the servervault folder and can be viewed if the PC tries to log-in again.  So, there's some level of connection between the player and the server.

However,  once a player tries to play, the server crashes.

As an aside, I'm able to launch single player and play just fine.

Key system specs:

Windows 10 (64 bit)

Running NWNx with a number of plugins.  Even running without NWNx, it still crashes.

NWNx and NWServer applications are running in XP SP3 compatibility mode and as administrators.

The NWN logs don't record any errors.

However, Looking through the Windows error log, I find the following:

Faulting application name: nwserver.exe, version: 1.6.9.0, time stamp: 0x486cfaee

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18202, time stamp: 0x569e72c5

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00054853

Faulting process id: 0x11c8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1946385c66e48

Faulting application path: C:\NeverwinterNights\NWN\nwserver.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 3b7ce451-0057-11e6-8258-001f290157cc

From what I can gather, the Exception Code 0xc0000005 is an 'Access Violation' error, but don't know where to go from there.

I've also run across indications that a fault with ntdll.dll might be related to nVidia drivers, but I'm running the latest drivers.   Wouldn't think the nwserver would be failing due to a grahpics driver issue, though.

In Task Manager, there don't seem to be any CPU or disk spikes on login that would suggest I'm maxing out on resources.

Any thoughts about where to go from here?  Has anyone successfully hosted through win 10 (or 8+)?

Thanks!

Legacy_BelowTheBelt

NWServer Crashes on Login
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 05:50:03 pm »

Discovered the issue, which has been identified in the NWNx boards previously, but hasn't been widely disseminated.

The NWNx Chat plugin conflicts with 'newer' versions of Windows.

Unless there's an attempt to fix the issue, Windows users who need that functionality will be limited to older OS's.