Author Topic: Any interest for an Original Sci-Fi themed RP PW?  (Read 3398 times)

Legacy_Diamond Wolfe

Any interest for an Original Sci-Fi themed RP PW?
« on: July 26, 2016, 01:04:22 am »

Hey all,

I've been out of the business with NWN development for a while, and had the urge to potentially work on a new persistent world startup but wanted to feel the community first before starting any development. I know that there's been a few attempts to do Sci-Fi on a Persistent World scale before but typically they're either dead in development or Star Wars themed. I don't have anything against working on Star Wars modules but the theme seems to not hold a strong popularity, not to mention everyone has their biases for and against that particular setting. 

So, I was looking to potentially work on an original Sci-fi setting, doing it as a persistent world. I have access and permission to use a number of haks from previous Sci-fi servers to give a boost in development, leading most of the effort into area design and scripting. 

My initial idea for the design of the server would be half RP half PvP/PvE. I'd start the server on a single world and let it expand from there as time allows for development, with the gameplay focused around doing missions in the style of Anarchy Online, Wave-based arena battles and Battlefields with Permadeath-less PvP. Pair that with persistent faction play, I think it could be an interesting game of RP and regular gameplay. The Sci-fi setting I'm looking at is one that is primarily inspired by the setting of Elder Scrolls Online, with an odd number of factions vying for power in a central location through politics and warfare. 

The last thing I was thinking on the subject was to keep levels low and potentially try to simplify the class system to make it more trigger-based, with perhaps a cap of 5 levels, and several classes that focus on Ranged Combat, Melee Combat, Support, and Civilian (for those just interested in the social aspect).

If there's significant interest in the potential module I'll go ahead with beginning initial development, though with how Sci-fi servers have fared in the past with NWN, I have been a bit skeptical, thus why I am making this post. 

Alternatively, if anyone is interested in a Pure CEP 2.6 module with a focus on sieges, territory ownership and nation building, I'd be interested in working on that as well. 

Thanks for your input!

Legacy_Tarot Redhand

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 06:31:18 pm »

I'm not a PW player myself but what about a Star Trek themed world? There should be enough factions there to keep everyone happy.

TR

Legacy_Dragooneer

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 09:51:20 pm »

I'd give it a shot if you can do it without making a futuristic type world.  What I mean is Sci-Fi doesn't have to mean laser pistols and photon torpedos. Something along the lines of Steampunk.  I'd play that.  Don't try to do so much.  And don't build it to please anyone other than yourself.  Otherwise you'll lose interest and faith in completing your project. I like the idea for Arenas and Battlefields. Good idea for PW.  Just my two coppers! 

Legacy_Empyre65

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 09:57:08 am »

Don't do Star Trek. Based on their "guidelines" for fan films, CBS seems to hate Star Trek fans and wants to keep them oppressed. You would get a cease-and-desist order if they managed to catch wind of such a project.

Legacy_AndrueD

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 07:17:37 pm »

Road Warror is scifi.  Mayb that more easy to make gear and wpn cuz they use most throwing wpn and bomb.  Tile/placable also not ned fancy stuff or robot walk around.  Just think mayb do retro style be easy for this.

Baaleos

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 01:49:20 pm »

Don't do Star Trek. Based on their "guidelines" for fan films, CBS seems to hate Star Trek fans and wants to keep them oppressed. You would get a cease-and-desist order if they managed to catch wind of such a project.

They wouldn't waste their time with a cease and desist unless they thought you were making some sort of monetary gain or damaging their brand in some way.

Since this wouldn't be a fan film, their guidelines would not apply.

Unless their guidelines explicitly prohibit roleplay's for non-profit, they have no legal standing to stop someone from creating a pw world that is themed loosely on the Gene Roddenberry universe. Even if they did have a clause that somehow related to roleplay scenarios, its practically impossible to win such a legal argument.

In a civil case they need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the actions of the infringing party damaged them in some measurable way.

Be it loss of sales, or negative press, or some sort of insult to the brand.

A roleplay between friends running around calling eachother Klingon's does not damage CBS in any way. In fact, it promotes it, strengthening their brand.

I use the term roleplay, because thats what it is.

Regardless of it being a game, you are in fact using characters from a D&D setting, and having them 'roleplay' and pretend that they are in a star trek theme.

I've used elements from Sci-fi tv shows, films, games and everything in my PW for years and there was never any issue with cease and desist.

Perhaps in more modern games you might face that problem, but no one pays attention to nwn1 PW's anymore to care about who is using who's brand.

Legacy_The Cow King

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 12:48:29 am »

A PW, no.

A heavily scripted, atmospheric, well written SP module with awesome combat, yes.

Legacy_Empyre65

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 02:31:34 am »

Not long ago, the BBC was harassing one of our friends here who was making a Dr Who campaign, so there is a precedent. They wouldn't have to win a case, but just make it last long enough that you couldn't afford the legal costs, and then they win. Also, in a civil case, they might have a lighter burden of proof than "beyond a reasonable doubt", such as "a preponderance of the evidence."

I am not saying that they are right to do this, or that they even have a right to do this, but they might do it anyway, and I did not want you to come to harm by my inaction (not warning you).

Legacy_Tarot Redhand

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 02:35:44 am »

Correction. It turned out to be some people pretending to be the BBC. It was sorted out in the old fashioned way without litigation.

TR

Legacy_PLUSH HYENA of DOOM

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 06:39:05 am »

It was sorted out with a BIG BRICK being applied to the Obvious Spleen.

(PS:- CBS Fox haven't shown any sign of having noticed my ALIEN vs DEMONESS Modules, not that those are publically available, but a lot of the ALIEN CC I've made is... NWN, more than a decade down the line, is probably more or less below the radar for most major companies - not that I'd want to bet my life on that).