Author Topic: Recommendation for a pre-OC starter module?  (Read 1518 times)

Legacy_Merrittomir

Recommendation for a pre-OC starter module?
« on: June 25, 2016, 08:17:30 pm »

Can anyone recommend a good starter mod to play before or instead of the OC Prelude? I've recently dusted off my copy of NWN and am looking to do an OC playthrough, but I want to run something else first to give my character a bit of a backstory and some levels. I've done the Prelude dozens of times in the past trying out all the different classes, so if the mod replaces the Prelude, all the better.

Legacy_Sachie

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 10:57:22 pm »

My first thought here is what character class do you intend to play the OC with because some modules that would make for a good prequel are oriented towards certain classes more so than others.

Legacy_Merrittomir

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 01:25:46 am »

Well I've narrowed it down to barbarian, druid or paladin  ':unsure:'

Legacy_Sachie

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 03:17:55 am »

For paladin, I mostly play and replay and replay Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, but that works more as a closing bookend after some other module and not before. I play barbarians and druids even less. >.<

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 03:38:31 am »

btw most OC encounters are scalable, they do contain stronger creatures in case player plays the OC with higher level character.

It will not be as challenging as playing with lvl 1-2 character, but its made it this way so if you bring lvl 10 character you should still have balanced gameplay (generally, boss creatures might be too weak as those doesn't scale).

Legacy_MrZork

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 07:31:22 am »

OT, but the scaling of the OC continues in the later chapters, at least for some areas/encounters. It's not perfect and certainly not consistent, but can lead to some surprises.

Once, someone on these boards had a question about the Chapter 1 quest in the Beggar's Nest and I decided to investigate. I didn't want to spend time fighting mobs, so I took in an epic mage (level 32ish) into the warrens to quickly get to the area the question referred to. I figured a few empowered Firebrand and Undeath to Death spells would clear the way for me. On my way, for amusement, I decided to stop and pull the "multiple mummy trick" at the sarcophagus room (where the Armor of Comfort is found). I opened the sarc, put in several items and took them out again, thinking a bunch of mummies would spawn. But was I shocked when about dozen demiliches popped up and proceeded to cut my mage to ribbons! ':blink:'

Legacy_Sachie

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 04:34:58 pm »

It's mostly undead and elementals that scale in the OC, everything else not really.

Legacy_MrZork

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 08:11:05 pm »

Most actual encounters scale somewhat. But, not many scale past the expected level for the encounter and very few indeed scale into the epics. For one thing, I don't expect there were that many epic enemies in the creature palette for the OC, since epic PC levels didn't come along until HotU. And, though some standard encounters in the palette have been updated to allow some epic scaling (e.g. there is a standard construct encounter with adamantine and mithral golems in it), many OC encounters are customized for the area they are in, so they wouldn't use those, even if the builder hadn't been opposed to tougher creatures spawning.

Legacy_Merrittomir

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 10:27:16 pm »

That's pretty neat that many of the encounters scale according to level, even if it's not perfect. Thanks for the info.

As far as level 1 modules, any others to look at besides Wyvern Crown of Cormyr?

Legacy_Sachie

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 11:34:15 pm »

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr is a Level 7ish module. If your character is below that level, it levels you up to that point because the initial plot is that you're an adventurer who came home to the family farm. It also strips any equipment you bring into the module then gives it back later because when you first start out, it shouldn't be "oh, let me get out all my cool stuff" when trouble shows up.

Legacy_werelynx

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 05:23:36 pm »

@Sachie, so Wyvern is not a good choice then, I guess.

And actually there were few modules designed to be played instead of prelude:

Otherwise you could look into modules designed especially for your picked classes:

Barbarian: http://neverwinterva...e-list-nwn1#Bar

Druid: http://neverwinterva...e-list-nwn1#Dru

Paladin: http://neverwinterva...e-list-nwn1#Pal

From those I can recommend you the following: ftp://neverwintervault.org/rolovault/projects/nwn1/modules/4212' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Mountain of Mirrors, ftp://neverwintervault.org/rolovault/projects/nwn1/modules/3739' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Sleeping Otter - Bearly An Adult, ftp://neverwintervault.org/rolovault/projects/nwn1/prefabs/630/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>The Fairy Tree

Sources/shameless self-promo:

http://neverwinterva...eries-list-nwn1

http://neverwinterva...odule-list-nwn1

PS: if any links lead to ftp, then probably we have the page on the vault as well, so you can search the names. The content in ftps is almost the same though.

EDIT: there are many, many level 1 mods :/

Legacy_Empyre65

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 06:18:32 pm »

And after the OC, you can have a romance with Aribeth in the Aribeth's Redemption series, which takes you to about level 28, similar to HotU.

Legacy_Sachie

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 04:16:18 am »

@Sachie, so Wyvern is not a good choice then, I guess.

Nope. My post was meant to be taken as "this is the only module I know of that I play paladin with, sorry" because I don't like asking a question then not replying as it could be mistaken as ignoring.

Legacy_cds13

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 10:12:41 pm »

Aribeth's dilemma should be t the only suitable mod as a prequel to the oc, too bad it gives you overpowering gear and is a little bit off topic as playground. How can a us navy vet with strong catholicbelief fit in faerun? And that's the only module meant as a prequel though it gets you far beyond the intended third level meant for starting the oc. Not an issue since the oc fits to every level in a one to twenty range. Seems to work as bugged when going from 21st level or superior. Just try any mos which can get thru the first three or four levels and switch then to the oc