Author Topic: The kind of build you enjoyed playing most  (Read 1528 times)

Legacy_PracticalKat

The kind of build you enjoyed playing most
« on: August 24, 2015, 08:21:49 pm »

I'm playing a strength based monk in chapter two at the moment. I've enjoyed high level rogues for the tactical options you have, and strength bards come a close second. But this monk with Sharwyn to buff him is mowing through enemies that took many reloads previously.

What builds did you enjoy most when playing the OC?

Legacy_Empyre65

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:56:40 pm »

I've played the OC as a Cleric, DEX-based Rogue / Fighter, STR-based Fighter / Rogue, Weapon Master, RDD, and Monk. I enjoyed them all, so it is hard to pick a favorite.

Legacy_unclejoe1917

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:05:18 pm »

Probably the most fun to watch develop. just from the standpoint of it blooming into a formidable combat machine, was a rogue/weapon master/assassin wielding a scythe.  It took a lot of feats, but the infliction of one strike damage once he got to higher levels (including going on to HotU) was unlike any other character I have made.

For the sake of the story, a pure paladin of Tyr who tries to redeem sweet, sweet Aribeth. 

Legacy_Empyre65

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 10:21:16 pm »

If you love Aribeth so much, why don't you marry her? You can do that, if you follow the OC with the Aribeth's Redemption series. I've played it twice so far, once with the RDD and once with the Monk that I mentioned before.

Legacy_Lilura

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 01:12:15 am »

I loved role-playing this Fighter (4) / Rogue (12) in Swordflight: a skillmonkey with UMD tricks and knockdown sneak attacks, wielding a scimitar and wearing heavy armor. 'B)'

Oops, this is for the OC... ah, monk then for the speed boost as I can't stand slo-mo jogging in large, boring areas filled with trashmobs.

Legacy_rogueknight333

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 12:53:40 am »

It has been a long time since I played the OC, but the halfling Rogue/Ranger I took through it will always have a special place in my heart on account of being the very first NWN character I ever played through a campaign.

Legacy_PracticalKat

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 06:16:38 pm »

Thanks all.  Lilura, I tried something along those lines at one stage as an experiment and was quite impressed at how well the toon stood up in combat.  Can you post a link to the unbuffed stats, or even better a build summary? I'm interested in the feats you chose.

RogueKnight, the only time I've tried a similar character was in Icewind Dale 2, with one level of Ranger to get Two-Weapon fighting and then going rogue-heavy because of the party play.  

Legacy_Lilura

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 02:26:37 am »

Lilura, I tried something along those lines at one stage as an experiment and was quite impressed at how well the toon stood up in combat.  Can you post a link to the unbuffed stats, or even better a build summary? I'm interested in the feats you chose.

I would post it, but the save files are archived on a PC which I don't have access to, I'm afraid.

But yeah, those (perma-)buffs from items really helped a lot in Swordflight, where the combat is no doddle. The build is nothing fancy, of course - it just felt so good in such an expertly balanced series as Swordflight.

From memory, I just took the initial level in Rogue for the skill bonus, then went with Fighter for the feats and specialization, and then rolled with rogue for the remainder. Every attribute bonus went into Strength because the character was basically a thug, albeit a smart and skillful one (whom I role-played to the point of Malefactor). I really enjoyed the versatility of the build, though I'm sure refinements can be made for next time.

I also built a dual-wielding Rogue in IWD2, a Tiefling for +2 dex and a Ranger dip for Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting... You receive some nice flavor feats (Hamstring, Crippling Strike, Slippery Mind), but Rogues in general are squishy and I found them to have questionable survivability as decoys in Heart of Fury mode (Mirror Image > evasion feats). Not to mention their utility skills didn't seem mandatory (traps, locks, stealth, pick pocket), arcane casters being able to cover for the most important two with the Knock and Invisibility spells.

Legacy_MagicalMaster

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 05:09:47 pm »

It has been a long time since I played the OC, but the halfling Rogue/Ranger I took through it will always have a special place in my heart on account of being the very first NWN character I ever played through a campaign.

Pure Elven Sorcerer for me.  Got that Weapon Finesse to stab things with my Rapier as a secondary/back-up weapon that I can use due to the Elf feats.

I knew so little.