Author Topic: Replaying and I want to try something new  (Read 2663 times)

Legacy_Naeryna

Replaying and I want to try something new
« on: June 17, 2015, 12:23:20 pm »

I'm trying to replay OC and I already played that campaign with cleric, paladin, ranger, monk, bard and sorcerer. I played with sorcerer/fighter and monk/sorcerer (OC), and bard/rogue and druid (HOTU).

I don't know which class to pick now.

I would like to pick Sharwyn (she's a bard) as my henchmen, which in turns means I have to have decent fighting skills. But I plan to do some quest solo.

Could you suggest class?

Legacy_Empyre65

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 06:33:36 pm »

The OC is better than many people say, and I have enjoyed it multiple times, but you should also try other campaigns, like the awesome Aielund Saga. Also, the next time you play SoU and HotU, follow it with The Sands of Fate series to go all the way to level 40. All of these and much more can be found at http://neverwintervault.org/

How about this for the OC?:

Level 20 Skull Smasher (Rogue 5 / Fighter 8 / Weapon Master 7)

Human, Any Alignment

Playable 1 - 20

Optional: Replace warhammer with scimitar, making you less effective against undead and other crit-immune, but more efective against those who are vulnerable to crits.

STR: 16 (21)

DEX: 14

CON: 14

WIS: 8

INT: 14

CHA: 10

Leveling Guide:

Human: (Quick to Master)

01: Rogue(1): Power Attack, Cleave

02: Rogue(2): {Evasion}

03: Fighter(1): Weapon Focus: Warhammer, Dodge

04: Fighter(2): STR+1, Mobility, (STR=17)

05: Fighter(3)

06: Fighter(4): Spring Attack, Weapon Specialization: Warhammer

07: Rogue(3): {Uncanny Dodge I}

08: Fighter(5): STR+1, (STR=18)

09: Fighter(6): Expertise, Whirlwind Attack

10: Weapon Master(1): Weapon of Choice: Warhammer

11: Weapon Master(2)

12: Rogue(4): STR+1, Blind Fight, (STR=19)

13: Weapon Master(3)

14: Weapon Master(4)

15: Weapon Master(5): Improved Critical: Warhammer

16: Weapon Master(6): STR+1, (STR=20)

17: Weapon Master(7)

18: Rogue(5): Toughness

19: Fighter(7)

20: Fighter(8): STR+1, Great Cleave, (STR=21)

Stats:

Hitpoints: 240

Skillpoints: 163

Saving Throws (Fortitude/Will/Reflex): 11/4/13

Saving Throw bonuses:

BAB: 18

AB (max, naked): 25 (melee), 20 (ranged)

AC (naked/mundane armor/shield only): 16/26

Spell Casting:

Alignment Changes: 0

Skills:

Disable Trap 21(23), Discipline 23(28), Intimidate 4(4), Listen 21(20), Lore 14(16), Open Lock 21(23), Search 19(21), Tumble 20(22), UMD 20(20)

01: Disable Trap(4), Intimidate(4), Listen(4), Lore(4), Open Lock(4), Search(4), Tumble(4), UMD(4), Save(12)

02: Disable Trap(1), Listen(1), Lore(1), Open Lock(1), Search(1), Tumble(1), UMD(1), Save(16)

03: Discipline(6), Lore(1), Save(14)

04: Discipline(1), Lore(1), Save(17)

05: Discipline(1), Save(21)

06: Discipline(1), Save(25)

07: Disable Trap(5), Listen(5), Open Lock(5), Search(5), Tumble(5), UMD(5), Save(6)

08: Discipline(2), Save(9)

09: Discipline(1), Save(13)

10: Discipline(1), Listen(3), Save(14)

11: Discipline(1), Listen(1), Save(17)

12: Disable Trap(5), Listen(1), Open Lock(5), Search(5), Tumble(5), UMD(5), Save(2)

13: Discipline(1), Listen(1), Save(5)

14: Discipline(2), Listen(1), Save(7)

15: Discipline(1), Listen(1), Save(10)

16: Discipline(1), Listen(1), Save(13)

17: Discipline(1), Listen(1), Save(16)

18: Disable Trap(6), Listen(1), Open Lock(6), Search(4), Tumble(5), UMD(5)

19: Discipline(2), Lore(3)

20: Discipline(1), Lore(4)

Legacy_unclejoe1917

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 02:16:28 pm »

I'm trying to replay OC and I already played that campaign with cleric, paladin, ranger, monk, bard and sorcerer. I played with sorcerer/fighter and monk/sorcerer (OC), and bard/rogue and druid (HOTU).

I would like to pick Sharwyn (she's a bard) as my henchmen, which in turns means I have to have decent fighting skills. But I plan to do some quest solo.

Could you suggest class?

Maybe a Beauty and the Beast sort of scenario where you are a big, ugly, misunderstood barbarian but you've endeared yourself to the sultry, charismatic Sharwyn.  Rage + her buffs would make you very formidable in a fight. 

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 04:06:25 pm »

You already played all (fun) classes. Figher is more  a multiclass tool and barbar is quite boring in vanilla nwn.

So if you really wanna play it again then you can play a challenges:

- do all quests in game (i assume you already did this numerous times)

- rush the campaign as fast as possible you can later tell us your time

- play without equipment (mage probably other classes wont be so viable this way)

- play without loading, once you die you die, over

- play a craft machine build, a special character build that has no combat skills and survival tools whatsoever I can post the sheet if you wanna try

etc.

this is of course quite action style focused challenge list not sure it suits your playstyle

Legacy_werelynx

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 08:04:08 pm »

Maybe try those classes unlocked by Shadooow's 1.71 patch? (Eye of Gruumsh for half-orcs and some monk special class)

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 11:27:40 pm »

Maybe try those classes unlocked by Shadooow's 1.71 patch? (Eye of Gruumsh for half-orcs and some monk special class)

Shou Disciple, but those are prestige classes so you need to start a game as a class you already played

However, there is different suggestion. Try install 3.5 edition, it greatly modifies base classes and brings whole new gameplay experiences. I believe 3.5 is much more balanced and fun than 3.0.

Legacy_Bondari the Reloader

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 09:26:02 pm »

A character like unclejoe1917 suggested would be fun from a roleplaying perspective, as you'd basically be playing Daelan (I really enjoyed their flirting banter in HotU). I wouldn't go the mage route or any other particularly squishy character; I tried that with Sharwyn as my companion once and it was very frustrating since her fighting skills aren't that good, especially at low levels. (Does Sharwyn get fighter levels in the OC? I thought she had some in HotU, but I could be mistaken.)

A fighter/druid could be fun. You get good combat abilities, plus healing and some offensive spells. I played one once (in a mod, not in the OC) where I took the exotic weapons feat and ran around avenging wrongs committed against nature with a flaming scythe. A fighter/rogue might shake things up a bit since I noticed you only listed one rogue character in your list, but your PC could end up being too similar to Sharwyn depending on how you level up your character. Perhaps a melee rogue could work?

Legacy_unclejoe1917

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 02:32:35 pm »

A character like unclejoe1917 suggested would be fun from a roleplaying perspective, as you'd basically be playing Daelan (I really enjoyed their flirting banter in HotU). I wouldn't go the mage route or any other particularly squishy character; I tried that with Sharwyn as my companion once and it was very frustrating since her fighting skills aren't that good, especially at low levels. (Does Sharwyn get fighter levels in the OC? I thought she had some in HotU, but I could be mistaken.)

A fighter/druid could be fun. You get good combat abilities, plus healing and some offensive spells. I played one once (in a mod, not in the OC) where I took the exotic weapons feat and ran around avenging wrongs committed against nature with a flaming scythe. A fighter/rogue might shake things up a bit since I noticed you only listed one rogue character in your list, but your PC could end up being too similar to Sharwyn depending on how you level up your character. Perhaps a melee rogue could work?

I actually had a little more unruly brute in mind.  Daelan seems pretty civilized as far as barbarians go.  If she were human, picking up that extra feat early on might make barbarian/weapon master an option.  His little tribe would be highly skilled craftsmen making prized great axes.  In turn, the clan grows up with an uncanny skill for using them.  He's a little touched in the head, so his tribe can't deal with him.  Regular society just doesn't get him either, so along comes Sharwyn who takes a shining to him.  She tames the beast by caring for him and gives his life some meaning.  Blah blah blah, happily ever after.  

Legacy_Nick The Noodle

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 04:17:13 pm »

Could you suggest class?

Rather than pick Sharwyn, be a bard yourself?

Here's an option - Hidden Sniper.

Take 7 levels of Elf Bard.

Then take 2 levels of Shadow Dancer.

Follower that up with 7 levels of Arcane Archer, plus a level of bard at either level 12 0r 15.

You would need a minimum int of 10 for the skills tumble, perform, hide and move silient.  UMD is to useful to ignore, and I think lore.

I would suggest placing 6 points into every attribute except wisdom, and putting additional points into strength to use more powerful bows.

Elf (S14 (18), D16, C12, I14, W8, Ch14).
01: Bard 1: Dodge
02: Bard 2
03: Bard 3: Mobility
04: Bard 4: STR+1
05: Bard 5
06: Bard 6: Weapon Focus Longbow
07: Bard 7

08: Shadow Dancer 1: STR+1
09: Shadow Dancer 2: Point Blank Shot
10: Arcane Archer 1
11: Arcane Archer 2
12: Arcane Archer 3: STR+1, Improved critical Longbow
13: Arcane Archer 4
14: Arcane Archer 5
15: Bard 8: Curse Song or Lingering Song
16: Arcane Archer 6

17: Arcane Archer 7

The OC finishes at level 17.

What you have is an interesting sneaky archer with spells, hide in plain sight, bardic song, evasion and uncanny dodge.

Using this build at the moment and it is one of the more successful.  

Legacy_MrZork

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 07:00:07 pm »

Nice build for the OC, Nick. One question: Why increase STR instead of DEX? I guess it gives some options if the toon has to melee. But, this toon will likely be most effective with a bow and a shadowdancer with decent hide and MS can almost always avoid melee.

Legacy_LoA_Tristan

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 06:30:49 am »

Yeah, I think that is a good build, great for the OC really.  I did an extra-high-strength archer for SoU-HotU since there seemed to be more Mighty around.  But I like the broad skills there and the use of Bard in general.

For my part I was going to suggest something totally outlandish, a neutral human Fighter that uses a long sword and shield.  The last time I played the OC, that's what I rolled and Lord Nasher himself told me he was "pleased that we could count on the average wayfarer to rise up and aid Neverwinter" yada yada.

Legacy_unclejoe1917

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 03:08:52 pm »

Yeah, I think that is a good build, great for the OC really.  I did an extra-high-strength archer for SoU-HotU since there seemed to be more Mighty around.  But I like the broad skills there and the use of Bard in general.

For my part I was going to suggest something totally outlandish, a neutral human Fighter that uses a long sword and shield.  The last time I played the OC, that's what I rolled and Lord Nasher himself told me he was "pleased that we could count on the average wayfarer to rise up and aid Neverwinter" yada yada.

Just a common man getting a piece of the pie in this rat race. 

Legacy_unclejoe1917

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 07:06:28 pm »

Okay, so I followed my own advice and my good natured, heavy flail wielding brute is getting along nicely with his comely bard companion.  They've mowed through the prison and captured the intellect devourer. If this keeps up, he will be a weapon master in no time.

One thing I never realized in previous plays was that Sharwyn is really strong. I am also appreciating just how well the music is done in this game. 

How about you, Naeryna?  What did you decide to do?  How is it going? 

Legacy_Lilura

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 01:01:53 am »

Yeah, I remember mowing through 50 prisoners and another 100 holed up in Peninsula buildings, for each kill my reward was 33 Exp. Riveting stuff! Anyway, I do like many aspects of the OC, but despite my nostalgia for the soundtrack and my love for Aribeth and the companions, I recently failed to complete a playthrough.

On a positive note, many overrides now exist to spruce the OC up, so it looks and plays better than ever.

Legacy_Nick The Noodle

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 08:31:09 pm »

Nice build for the OC, Nick. One question: Why increase STR instead of DEX? I guess it gives some options if the toon has to melee. But, this toon will likely be most effective with a bow and a shadowdancer with decent hide and MS can almost always avoid melee.

Thanks.

For the OC increased dex may be more important, but I like to play my PC's much further, and devastating critical (strength 25 required) is always a goal of fighter types for me personally.

Afaik, the best bow for this build in the OC is Taralash, a +4/+4 bow which hastes the PC.  Assuming you are able to acquire one, strength needs to be no higher than 18.  Given that gauntlets of Ogre Power can be bought and a belt of Hill Giant Strength can be acquired in chapter 2, you could possibly get away with 13 strength at the beginning and put all your points into dexterity.  However, given that you can get a +3/+3 Elf bow at the epilogue of chapter 1, you will want 16 strength by that point.  Gauntlets can be bought, so a 14 strength is probably best, unless you are using the Half-Orcs +1 strength amulet as well.

In the OC there are plenty of charisma boosting items, two free from henchmen.  You don't need to start with more than 14 charisma.  As a result, a Bard 5-8, RDD 4-8, BG4 is pretty lethal by level 17.  Go Bard 5, then RDD 4, then BG3.  This is so you can get Divine Might or Shield at L12.  You take the 4th BG level at 15 to get the other one.  You will need to take a bard level at 17 to maximize tumble (at 20 for +4 dodge ac), and if you are only playing in the OC, no more than 4 RDD levels are required.  This will give you a Bard 9/RDD4/BG4 by the end.  It is a bit tricky getting up to level 9, but once there, the OC becomes relatively easy.  The same is true with Darkness over Daggerford.  

Even better, Bards are the most interesting class imho.  Apart from the armour issue, fixed in 3.5/nwn2, the one element I would like to see is a new feat - Actor, only available at level 1 to a level 1 Bard.  With this feat, the Bard uses all charisma based skills based on his perform skill.  It effectively gives the Bard intimidation.  It also effectively gives the Bard more skill points to spend elsewhere.  Further, this is not overly powerful, because few modules utilize many charisma skill roles, and those that do favour rogues, not Bards.