Author Topic: NWN OC any% single-segment speedrun in 37:22 (WR)  (Read 3229 times)

Legacy_WhiZard

NWN OC any% single-segment speedrun in 37:22 (WR)
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 09:05:26 pm »

What can't be easily fixed is the collision mechanic to get to the other side of a door.  Triggers can also be problematic as they do not always fire on a PW.

Legacy_Grani

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 11:00:21 pm »

What can't be easily fixed is the collision mechanic to get to the other side of a door.  Triggers can also be problematic as they do not always fire on a PW.

Yeah, I noted this one down exactly because it seems to be the most problematic glitch from a builder's perspective.

Legacy_Seyruun

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 01:42:22 pm »

As a speedrunner myself (though I do completely different games - those from the Hitman series) I'm absolutely astonished at this run. I wouldn't pay no heed to people saying that this run is just short of putting DebugMode 1 in; whatever has been shown on this video is very impressive and educational (in terms of learning the game mechanics for sure!).

I really hate that sentiment people often put out towards speedrunners, that their way of playing the game "ruins the atmosphere/the way it's meant to be played". It's obvious that to speedrun a game you have to already know it pretty well and, most importantly, enjoy it - and not just soullessly crunch it. He's a fan and we should respect that, aye? Those glitches aren't exactly easy to pull off and the fact that people are there to dig out all this stuff only prolongs the longevity of the game.

Very well done, I'm going to follow your stream!

Legacy_mejcell

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 09:05:58 pm »

Yeah, apart from the Familiar clips the glitches used are mostly scripting oversights. So yes, you can clip behind doors in multiplayer as well (or summon Familiar behind objects, see for example https://www.youtube....KTH-raM&t=4m24s), and even get past certain triggers if they have been badly made. It being possible is no reason to use it though.

Legacy_WhiZard

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 02:39:23 am »

So yes, you can clip behind doors in multiplayer as well...

It is much worse than that.  You can literally teleport anywhere in an area (with enough patience) in multiplayer without being in debug mode.

Baaleos

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 03:57:18 pm »

fast as possible using any means possible

I know its been said - yeah, activate debug mode, and use runscript or whatever to jump to waypoint and have it completed in about 5 minutes flat

Legacy_mejcell

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 12:24:53 pm »

It is much worse than that.  You can literally teleport anywhere in an area (with enough patience) in multiplayer without being in debug mode.

Not true at all - actually very, very far from the truth. The cases where the Familiar clip can be used are specific, it doesn't even include all doors. You can clip through certain ledges and cliffs however.

Legacy_WhiZard

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 11:26:45 pm »

Not true at all - actually very, very far from the truth. The cases where the Familiar clip can be used are specific, it doesn't even include all doors. You can clip through certain ledges and cliffs however.

I am not here to discuss how exploits are performed, just the scope which they can affect.  I will maintain my statement, that without DebugMode used you can still position yourself anywhere in an area with enough rigor and patience

Legacy_mejcell

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 07:11:51 pm »

It's not how it is performed - but understanding how and why the trick works.

1. You need to be somehow stuck in a corner and far enough "inside" the wall/door, so that the game doesn't bounce you off normally.

2. You have to have a certain (Familiar) angle that varies by wall thickness/shape.

3. Not all doors and/or walls work at all - you're just simply wrong with your statement.

This album has some examples of non-clippable ledges/doors, I challenge you to prove otherwise (Area tags included in the image descriptions).

http://imgur.com/a/zxPT4

Legacy_WhiZard

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 09:11:44 pm »

It's not how it is performed - but understanding how and why the trick works.

You have demonstrated that you know how one trick works.  You have not demonstrated that you know how other tricks work.

Legacy_Terrorble

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2015, 08:51:20 pm »

Just watched first 20min of the run through.  Nice work, you are a clicking machine lol.

Legacy_Knight Teore

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 11:29:25 pm »

I didn't even know this was a thing. Color me impressed, and definitely an interesting challenge, given every strategy put into it. I've done my share of speedrunning in games, but don't think I'd have quite the clicking precision and speed combined to replicate this one heh.