Author Topic: uses for reagents  (Read 1479 times)

Legacy_SlickRCBD

uses for reagents
« on: November 14, 2013, 04:05:41 pm »

Is there a comprehensive list of all the uses for the reagents and where to use them? I haven't played NWN in a couple of years, but I swear there was a use for the alchemist apparatuses scattered all over to make things. 
Also, I'm trying to decide what to keep and what to sell when it comes to all these reagents I have piled up. I have more than I can carry from chapter 2 to chapter 3.

I'd like a comprensive list of what I can use the alchemist's apparatus for, what I can use that wizard's chest to make items with, etc. and everything else except Marrok's forge since there is an easy to find FAQ on that.

I swear there used to be such a list here, but I can't find posts older than 3 years.

Legacy_MagicalMaster

uses for reagents
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:33:52 pm »

I mean no offense, but they're really quite useless overall except for Marrok's Forge.  Not really any reason to keep them around.

Legacy_WhiZard

uses for reagents
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 04:19:38 pm »

Still, they are like side quests with XP attached.  I know of a lot of side quests that don't give much added benefit to the character, but without side quests the game does become somewhat one dimensional.

Legacy_cds13

uses for reagents
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 09:35:24 pm »

When you step up in the 3rd chapter you can use those reagents by building improved weapon versions of the ones you could create at Marrok's forge. The other forge is at one of the buildings in Beorunna's Well, the northern house, the one where you find the merchant Husher Clay and the dwarf smith (Barun Silverblade?). If you didn't ask Marrok for the list of weapons you can create you can ask Barun as well.
For the magical stuff you can create you need the tomes scattered around the chapters and the magical lab of Eltoora. In the 2nd chapter you just can use the 5 tomes Eltoora asks you to find. In the 3rd her magical lab can help you to build a vest, the gargoyle boots (gargoyle skull + stoneskin) and a staff if I don't go wrong. There is a lab in the Wizard's Circle too when you have to find a magical orb for Lillian Cambridge but I wasn't able to build anything there.
Oh, just forgot the alchemist apparatus you find at the third floor at Luskan Tower (Slaad tongue + Dispel magic for a magical rod). The apparatus at Quint's quarters at the Jhareg's Castle in Charwood (that will work for divine healing spells) does not use any reagents apart from the healing kits inside (for non divine casters: healing kit + lesser restore scroll cast gives you back 5 potions of lesser restoration).

Legacy_WhiZard

uses for reagents
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 12:25:07 am »

You can view this guide.  Most items are listed in Appendix C with the exception of the Rod of Reversal (listed within the Luskan tower) and the Staff of Dominance (Listed within the 3rd chapter).

Legacy_MagicalMaster

uses for reagents
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 02:56:19 am »

I admit it's been a long time...but did they actually give experience?  I don't remember that but I wasn't really paying attention regardless.

Side note: I would argue that sometimes side quests are very problematic.  Was just playing a mod yesterday where I finished a side quest and returned to town.  NPC ran up to me and told me that something was under attack and I needed to go there immediately.  I went there instead of turning in the side quest...and it turns out I never had a chance to turn it in after that point.

At another point I was chasing down a kidnapped person and apparently I was expected to go in a direction that I *knew* was the wrong way because there were basically two side quests down a detour.

Both of those really detracted from the urgency of the moment when I realized, in hindsight, that I had been expected to ignore what I was told was priority and do the side missions.

Legacy_Westan Willows

uses for reagents
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 07:07:10 am »

Eltoora  has the reagents in a chest in her lab. also Husher Clay  has a side quest for you. Just ask about 'Words of Power'