Author Topic: Official Campaign Servers  (Read 1091 times)

Legacy_Fuzzy_24

Official Campaign Servers
« on: February 15, 2013, 03:50:28 am »

Hi guys

i have a couple of friends that wants to experience NWN official campaing before we  delve into added content, but we want to do it as a group on a weekly basis.   I played  NWN before the Expansions cme out and in still really impressed with the game. 

Any Official Campaign servers still running?
Any improvements/mods I should know about?

Legacy_MagicalMaster

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 06:46:07 am »

I'm not sure any official campaign SERVERS are running, I'd imagine most people would just do it as a saved game rather than as a server.

If you want to up the AI, you could check out TonyK's AI.  Not sure there's really much else for the original stuff.

Legacy_Gregor Wyrmbane

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 02:31:17 pm »

From another thread in this category:

HipMaestro wrote...

There's still a Mad Dog Fargo OC server active that (IIRC) is very vanilla with just a few tweaks and no haks needed.  The IP is 69.132.71.114:5121 for direct connect.  Check it out to see if it suits your preference. It still seems a little-used server but bug-free and occasionally DM'd.

I've played on it a few times and it's got some decent add ons in the way of equipment availability and a little help with getting started gold. There were others on when I played there a few weeks back. Seems like everytime I logged on when the server was empty it would only be a few mintutes before someone else logged on.

Legacy_HipMaestro

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 07:11:55 am »

Our LAN group must have played the OC a hundred times over the years with different members coming and going, their kids, their kids' friends, and so on.  Eventually, we've adapted community content that is suitable for MP and get lots of mileage out of those.  Not to knock the servers.  Most of them have done their homework to make it enjoyable, interesting and well-balanced for solo venturing and large parties alike (not an easy task, believe me).  It's also handy to have a DM already committed for each session and generally available 24-7.  A good DM can make all the difference in MP.

Understand that the OC is in essence no more than a learning campaign to help new players get accustomed to the basic game mechanics.  It has a decent storyline, not outstanding and can be roleplayed but is somwhat limiting (re: equipment enhancements, little magic crafting available other than wands, non-epic, etc.) and overly generous in resting accommodations and loot distribution.  Most custom environments are far more challenging and consistent with the spirit of true MP D&D gaming.

After dealing with a steady diet of griefers for years, we have found LAN games to suit our "maturity" level better and seldom have any latency issues routing locally.  Many of us still server hop when schedules become difficult to synch up with sufficient group representation. 

It's just another option open for you to consider is all.

Legacy_Fuzzy_24

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 03:55:05 pm »

Gregor Wyrmbane wrote...

HipMaestro wrote...

There's still a Mad Dog Fargo OC server active that (IIRC) is very vanilla with just a few tweaks and no haks needed.  The IP is 69.132.71.114:5121 for direct connect.  Check it out to see if it suits your preference. It still seems a little-used server but bug-free and occasionally DM'd.

I've played on it a few times and it's got some decent add ons in the way of equipment availability and a little help with getting started gold. There were others on when I played there a few weeks back. Seems like everytime I logged on when the server was empty it would only be a few mintutes before someone else logged on.

This server was down the 3 different times i tried to log onto it

Legacy_Fuzzy_24

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 03:57:13 pm »

HipMaestro wrote...

Our LAN group must have played the OC a hundred times over the years with different members coming and going, their kids, their kids' friends, and so on.  Eventually, we've adapted community content that is suitable for MP and get lots of mileage out of those.  Not to knock the servers.  Most of them have done their homework to make it enjoyable, interesting and well-balanced for solo venturing and large parties alike (not an easy task, believe me).  It's also handy to have a DM already committed for each session and generally available 24-7.  A good DM can make all the difference in MP.

Understand that the OC is in essence no more than a learning campaign to help new players get accustomed to the basic game mechanics.  It has a decent storyline, not outstanding and can be roleplayed but is somwhat limiting (re: equipment enhancements, little magic crafting available other than wands, non-epic, etc.) and overly generous in resting accommodations and loot distribution.  Most custom environments are far more challenging and consistent with the spirit of true MP D&D gaming.

After dealing with a steady diet of griefers for years, we have found LAN games to suit our "maturity" level better and seldom have any latency issues routing locally.  Many of us still server hop when schedules become difficult to synch up with sufficient group representation. 

It's just another option open for you to consider is all.

I have been pushing  for the LAN option but due to Scheduling Location concerns this idea just isnt floating 

Legacy_HipMaestro

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 01:45:26 am »

Fuzzy_24 wrote...

Gregor Wyrmbane wrote...

HipMaestro wrote...

This server was down the 3 different times i tried to log onto it

Apparently, in the last few months (I remember connecting to that server to make sure the address worked at that time), those servers have either gone down or on indeterminate hold (the Mad Dog website has no server status info that I can find).  Xfire is showing around 180+ servers active atm and none of the Mad Dog ones are among them.  I also do not notice any other OC, SoU or HotU-related servers so the best recourse is MM's suggestion of making your own game and emailing or skyping the address to your playmates (dunno if the private games would show up on xfire, never tried myself).  The unfortunate part is that it (your private game) will not be a DM'd game (not unless our community can suggest how to do that without a LAN or PW server).  That's about your only alternatives that I can see.

Modifié par HipMaestro, 17 février 2013 - 01:47 .