Author Topic: bard/fighter/rogue  (Read 2740 times)

Legacy_Naeryna

bard/fighter/rogue
« on: December 21, 2014, 06:55:14 pm »

Could you recommend me a build that fits with all this classes? I'm planning to play SOU and HOU with this character. But maybe only HOU. Is elf good race for this combo? Don't mind small xp penalty.

I would like to pick lock and disarm traps.

Legacy_icywind1980

bard/fighter/rogue
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 07:33:50 pm »

I suck at powerbuilding myself, but check out this index of builds.

http://home.comcast....wk/buildsearch/

Legacy_MrZork

bard/fighter/rogue
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 09:15:20 pm »

If you expand a bit on what you would like the build to be able to do, then people might chime in with more suggestions. Do you plan on lots of stealthing and decent sneak attack damage? Or casting bard spells and a strong bard song? Or mostly a melee toon with the other classes for extra skills and better saves? BTW, unless you are thinking in terms of a dexing character who may need Weapon Specialization to deliver decent damage, you should consider taking Champion of Torm in place of fighter.

As icywind1980 notes, there are some builds with that combination out there, though few will be elves, since that invites the possibility of a 40% multiclass XP penalty. Unless you are diligent in keeping at least 2 of these base classes within one level of one another, it's hard to recommend elf here. Of course, it's not hard to finish HotU with fewer levels, but bear in mind that there is also a penalty for each henchman, so that will be another significant factor, unless you plan to solo all or most of the module (which is also very doable, but it can be a challenge, depending on your play style). BTW, unless you are thinking in terms of a dexing character who may need Weapon Specialization to deliver decent damage, you may consider taking Champion of Torm in place of fighter.

As you know, HotU will take your toon to level 27 or 28 in a run where you do all the quests with no significant XP penalty and don't farm respawns. (That drops to possibly level 25 with a 20% XP penalty). That means that, unless two of the classes only get a level or two by then, this sort of character will be sort of a late bloomer in terms of getting class features that come at higher class levels.

Legacy_Naeryna

bard/fighter/rogue
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 06:55:52 am »

Doesn't have to be elf, but I would like to be proficient in bows. I would like to have good bard song and ability to disarm traps and open locks. I would also love to be some kind of fighter, because I don't want to waste bard song (Plus, I'm taking Sharwyn and Deekin with me, and they are both bards, so...).

Legacy_Naeryna

bard/fighter/rogue
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 01:07:00 pm »

To expand criteria more:

I would like to be skilled in persuade, appraise and UMD (and perform also). I don't need spells, especially since there's spell failure in armor. I would like good bard song, but I understand it's hard to accomplish that in multiclassed bard, but I only like open lock and disarm trap, and I could maybe get few levels in rogue. Fighter class isn't a requirement, I would just like to fight in combat effectively. Bows are OK.

Anyone?

Legacy_rogueknight333

bard/fighter/rogue
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 12:43:40 am »

Just quickly off the top of my head (so this might be a bit vague and in need of refinement), something that seems to fit your requirements might be a halfling Rogue/Bard/Champion of Torm, focused on Dexterity and using a missile weapon. Start out as a rogue with stats as follows:

STR: 10

DEX: 18

CON: 14

WIS: 8

INT: 12

CHA: 14

By the end of HOTU, with 27 levels, you should be a Rogue 13/Bard 8/COT 6. That gives you enough rogue levels to get Defensive Roll & Improved Evasion to qualify for Epic Dodge (assuming you consistently pump up your DEX as you should), as well as plenty of skill points (in addition to Persuade, Appraise, UMD, Open Lock, Disarm Trap and Perform, make sure you also increase Tumble and perhaps Search as well); enough Bard Levels so your Song will provide some moderately significant buffs, and enough COT levels to provide several bonus feats. Assuming you start with Rogue, and make sure that pre-epic you take at least 4 COT levels, and the number of levels taken in the other two clases are each multiples of 4 (to avoid penalizing your BAB) I doubt it matters very much in exactly what order you take those classes.

If you do not care about getting Epic Dodge, you could focus more on Bard, and just take an occasional rogue level for skill dumps. In that case you could also substitute Human or Half-elf for Halfling, if you prefer either for RP (none of the three has to worry about an XP penalty if you replace Fighter with COT).