Author Topic: Cannot move lever - bug?  (Read 1911 times)

Legacy_King Kraut

Cannot move lever - bug?
« on: November 28, 2012, 11:12:24 pm »

Hi everyone, I need help with what may be a bug. After I defeat Grimgnaw and his fellows, I enter the little room, fly to the lever as a pixie and morph back into a human. But I cannot swith the lever. It says "you cannot operate the lever in this form". Now what? It seems like my "form" is mistaken by the Game for one that cannot move levers, but what to do?
I have patch 1.69 installed, for that matter.

Modifié par King Kraut, 28 novembre 2012 - 11:14 .

Legacy_MagicalMaster

Cannot move lever - bug?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:53:25 pm »

Did you try morphing into something else and back to human?  And/or resting?

Legacy_MagicalMaster

Cannot move lever - bug?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:04:50 am »

The code for the lever itself includes

else if(GetAppearanceType(oPC) != APPEARANCE_TYPE_DWARF &&
           GetAppearanceType(oPC) != APPEARANCE_TYPE_ELF &&
           GetAppearanceType(oPC) != APPEARANCE_TYPE_HUMAN &&
           GetAppearanceType(oPC) != APPEARANCE_TYPE_HALF_ORC &&
           GetAppearanceType(oPC) != APPEARANCE_TYPE_HALFLING &&
           GetAppearanceType(oPC) != APPEARANCE_TYPE_GNOME &&
           GetAppearanceType(oPC) != APPEARANCE_TYPE_HALF_ELF) {
      //SpeakString("[NOT IN STRING EDITOR] You cannot operate the lever in this form");
      SpeakStringByStrRef(85511);

What this means if you need to have that appearance.  Are you using anything that would NOT be the default appearance for a race?

Legacy_King Kraut

Cannot move lever - bug?
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:53:07 am »

MagicalMaster wrote...

Did you try morphing into something else and back to human? And/or resting?

Tried it all, no change.

MagicalMaster wrote...

The code for the lever itself includes

else if(GetAppearanceType(oPC) != APPEARANCE_TYPE_DWARF &&
           GetAppearanceType(oPC) != APPEARANCE_TYPE_ELF &&
           GetAppearanceType(oPC) != APPEARANCE_TYPE_HUMAN &&
           GetAppearanceType(oPC) != APPEARANCE_TYPE_HALF_ORC &&
           GetAppearanceType(oPC) != APPEARANCE_TYPE_HALFLING &&
           GetAppearanceType(oPC) != APPEARANCE_TYPE_GNOME &&
           GetAppearanceType(oPC) != APPEARANCE_TYPE_HALF_ELF) {
      //SpeakString("[NOT IN STRING EDITOR] You cannot operate the lever in this form");
      SpeakStringByStrRef(85511);

What this means if you need to have that appearance.  Are you using anything that would NOT be the default appearance for a race?

I am riding a horse, as a paladin. I have tried after getting off the horse, too, but it does not help. I have a horse on my head, though. I don't know if that's the reason. It came from importing a character from a savegame where it was riding a horse. I have it on my head, but I am  not being perceived by the game as riding a horse. Once I summon a new horse, I can mount it and the headhorse cannot be seen until I get off the new horse.

I have seen the lever problem in another forum, but it was not resolved, that player just teleported himself into the next room by cheating.

Legacy_WhiZard

Cannot move lever - bug?
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 03:40:50 pm »

King Kraut wrote...

I am riding a horse, as a paladin. I have tried after getting off the horse, too, but it does not help. I have a horse on my head, though. I don't know if that's the reason. It came from importing a character from a savegame where it was riding a horse. I have it on my head, but I am  not being perceived by the game as riding a horse. Once I summon a new horse, I can mount it and the headhorse cannot be seen until I get off the new horse.

I have seen the lever problem in another forum, but it was not resolved, that player just teleported himself into the next room by cheating.

This appearance is the horse riding appearance without the mount animation.  What needs to be done to fix the problem is to reset the appearance (SetCreatureAppearanceType()).  I would suggest running the script x3_fix_horse, but given that you have already mounted and dismounted without the issue resolving itself, would mean that the skin is also corrupted.

Legacy_MagicalMaster

Cannot move lever - bug?
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 05:35:42 pm »

I hate horses in NWN.  Never should have been added.

Legacy_HipMaestro

Cannot move lever - bug?
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 06:28:24 pm »

MagicalMaster wrote...
I hate horses in NWN.  Never should have been added.

Don't actually hate them but they are just another mechanism that can break, and an unnecessary one IMO.  Fine for CC that has been written especially to balance it, but otherwise. Meh. Pass.

I wouldn't be surprised if a mounted toon has even more problems progressing through the rest of the module.  There are loads polymorph prereq encounters scattered about.  Kinda surprising that it took this far into the campaign to experience a bug using a horse.

I'd just stick with an unmounted pally (or whatever class) and spare any further hassles getting through the rest of the module.

I suppose you could use the console to jump to the next area.  Dunno if the hench(es) will be there until you reload, though.  I also don't know if any variables are set passing through the transition.  Worth a shot to get unstuck.

Legacy_MagicalMaster

Cannot move lever - bug?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 10:10:04 pm »

HipMaestro wrote...

Don't actually hate them but they are just another mechanism that can break, and an unnecessary one IMO.

That's why I hate them.

Legacy_MrZork

Cannot move lever - bug?
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 11:29:08 pm »

Horses are nice at times and they are particularly useful for travel in modules where hasted items are rare and other mechanisms for movement speed increase are expensive. The PW where I have been playing works that way and the horses are useful at lower levels.

But, the module builder has to go through the extra effort to anticipate PCs using horses. Some of the horse scripts are cumbersome and cause trouble that needs to be addressed through scripting, whether or not one even has a mount. I seem to recall issues with the radial menu, with summons, and even getting stuck with a dead action queue because of some of the marginal implementations of the horse features.

Of course, that same issue of a builder designing an area or incident without anticipating that players might be doing something different (or at least that they might logically want to do something different) isn't limited to horse riding. That sort of problem really crops up often with both polymorphed/shifted forms and associates. How many times have I been stuck in a "pit trap" when my toon should be able to shift into a flying form and just leave (or possess his flying familiar and bring a rope back or pull some lever or whatever)? Or found myself "drowning" in a shape (like undead or construct or - this one was the kicker - water elemental) that doesn't need to breathe? Or seen a dialog where one might fail a "strength check" to open a barred (and plot) door or bend bars or whatever when my 30+ STR animal companion is right next to me?

Legacy_King Kraut

Cannot move lever - bug?
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 03:37:55 pm »

HipMaestro wrote...
I suppose you could use the console to jump to the next area.  Dunno if the hench(es) will be there until you reload, though.  I also don't know if any variables are set passing through the transition.  Worth a shot to get unstuck.

I used the console to jump right behind the gargoyle statues barring the way to the next door by using the "+"-key. No more problems from there on. Thanks.

Legacy_Melkior_King

Cannot move lever - bug?
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 05:57:29 am »

You may be able to use an editor such as "Alia" to find the toon saved in the save-game file and change the toon appearance number to the default for your race

If you don't mind starting over, you can use "Leto" to edit the toon in your local vault first, to do the same thing.

The only other alternative I can think of is to enter the game where you were using that toon while mounted, dismount, save another copy of the toon and then use that copy (since it should now have the default appearance number).

Modifié par Melkior_King, 08 décembre 2012 - 05:58 .

Legacy_frabjous

Cannot move lever - bug?
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 01:34:38 am »

Sorry for the necrobump, but I was having this problem and so found this post.

I discovered another solution, which is dismount and then use the console:

DebugMode 1

SetAppearance human

(or whatever your race is).

For me, I still always look mounted, but at least I could use the switch!