Author Topic: Just how bad does the genie cheat you?  (Read 952 times)

Legacy_BelgarathMTH

Just how bad does the genie cheat you?
« on: November 14, 2010, 01:17:27 am »

I was wondering if anyone knew exact percentage of loss when selling to the portable merchant genie? (assume Appraise = 0)

I've noticed that the maximum amout he pays for any magic item is 5000 gp. I'm pretty sure he pays bottom dollar for pretty much anything you sell to him.

Legacy_HipMaestro

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 10:25:39 pm »

It's not so much a percentage that kills you, just a straight sales ceiling like with all the other merchants.  Appraise only helps until you reach the ceiling (sales-wise, that is) and after that it doesn't matter.

He's actually not so bad in Chapter 1, but later, when the merchant redemption ceilings go up (7500, Ch2 and 10K in Ch3), he's no bargain anymore.

But once you've entered the Mimic's Nest, you are stuck with him, so you will need to bite the bullet if you need gold as we all do for those expensive True Names.

edit: BTW, I believe the djinni uses 25% instead of the standard 35% buy markdown.

Modifié par HipMaestro, 16 novembre 2010 - 10:33 .

Legacy_MrZork

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 02:27:56 am »

Except for some unique items he will sell and the fact that he's always available in a pinch, Volkarion should not be a favored trading partner. My recollection is that he is the second worst buyer (lowest paid price per item) in chapter 1 (behind White Thesta) and the worst in every other chapter, though he is the only merchant in the first two chapters who will buy stolen goods. As HipMaestro notes, make sure you have done all of your selling before you get to the Knower of Names, since he is your only resort at that point. Since the other chapter three merchants both pay more as a percent of item value and have a higher buying cutoff price, you shouldn't be doing all that much business with Volky in chapter three.