Author Topic: Favored Enemy Help?  (Read 2618 times)

Legacy_gamer025

Favored Enemy Help?
« on: February 17, 2011, 05:04:45 pm »

I'm looking for a list of the most useful favored enemies to take in SoU. I've never finished it. In fact never made it to chapter 2 before, so I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm using a ranger obviously, and began with reptilian humanoids (for the kobolds.) There's a lot of them in the beginning, but after that I doubt any. I wasn't sure what to take next. I thought to take monstrous humanoids to deal with the stingers in the interlude. I'm thinking undead also. I think the collective wisdom of you players out there could help me (and others) come up with a good list.

Thanks!

Legacy_HipMaestro

Favored Enemy Help?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:30:46 am »

Since FE only adds damage to a successful attack, it can be argued, that it benefits the most with foes who cannot be critted like undead, constructs & elementals, for instance.  For the types which cannot be critted, you must rely on only the base damage (and enhancements) so would most likely need the benefit of FE damage the most in those cases.  Alternately, you may try to guess the preponderance of enemies in a module and choose FE according to that, but since crits will be doing the majority of the damage anyway, the extra from FE will be dwarfed.  

The other aspect to choosing FEs is whether you will be continuing to use the same ranger in a subsequent module (like HotU, for example), in which case, you may have chosen FE types that are no longer all that common anymore.

Some rangers may mix elves or dwarves in as FE for those occasions where mobs of drow or duergar begin to pop up.  IMO, non-crit FE choices seem to be the most reliable.

Modifié par HipMaestro, 18 février 2011 - 12:39 .

Legacy_gamer025

Favored Enemy Help?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 02:13:53 pm »

Thanks for replying. I agree with what you say for the most part. I almost always take undead as a FE. I feel taking any FEs that don't appear in a campaign to be useless also, unless used in more than one campaign as you said.

Legacy_Gregor Wyrmbane

Favored Enemy Help?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 03:51:33 pm »

As was mentioned, undead is always a good choice for FE since there seems to be an overabundance of them in most modules. I don't think there's one best choice for the last chapter of SoU, but there are a lot of constructs and elementals to fight through along with the undead. 
Though some consider using the dm commands in the console as cheating, (matter of opinion), if you decide to import your PC from SoU into HotU you can use the console to delevel your ranger and then relevel him/her picking whatever FE's you think will be best suited for that module.
If you need some insight into what you're facing, here's a link.

www.gamebanshee.com/neverwinternights/souwalkthrough.php