Author Topic: "NPC Activities" is it good?  (Read 1473 times)

Legacy_Zeke

"NPC Activities" is it good?
« on: June 24, 2016, 12:24:42 pm »

I stumbled on NPC Activities script ( http://neverwinterva...c-activities-61 ) and currently reading its documentation and I am totally blown away and amazed by its functions.

So yeah, is it worth it? Is there something better or are there any known bugs in it? I just want to insure myself.

Legacy_RansomR

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 02:09:12 pm »

I'm familiar only with version 5.7 and that has no bugs. To see it in action do search for Bezantur on the vault and there is an old city prefab of mine.(it requires CEP 2.3tho)

Legacy_meaglyn

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 08:52:00 pm »

I like it. It's a pretty neat system. I don't, however, use it because it's huge and somewhat overly complicated.  <shameless plug> That's part of why I wrote my advanced walkwaypoints system (see sig). It gives you many of the basic features of NPC Activities but with a much smaller footprint, and it uses existing waypoint setups without change. </shameless plug>

You may also be interested in the ambient city system although that is also pretty heavy-weight.  There does not seem to be a real newvault page for this one but the files are there.

Legacy_Zeke

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 01:57:29 pm »

Thank you for the explanation. I will take a look at the RansomR city and the Advanced WalkWaypoints system ( I will see what it has and decide what will be best for my module).

Is there any option for NPC Activities and Advanced WalkWaypoints for instant heartbeat. I mean, currently, when the module is started 6 secs have to pass until all the NPCs start moving. Is there a way to make the heartbeat function fire immediately?

Legacy_Proleric

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 02:19:47 pm »

You can kickstart your custom activities from the area OnEnter event. I have quite a lot going on there in my module (including random appearances for part-based citizens) so it was a bit laggy at first, but I fine-tuned it to an acceptable level.

I seriously considered the off-the-shelf activity systems for Dark Energy. Ended up doing my own, but never found time to make it so feature-rich, so in hindsight I'd say go with a package.

Legacy_belisarius

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 01:36:50 pm »

NPC Activities, I love it, it supports so much extension and customisation, especially since everything is a variable and can be changed in-game. I expected to have problems with lag, but never did, YMMV

There is a version 6.2 around. Deva Winblood was the original developer, but he passed it on to Sean. I submitted a bugfix a year or two ago which was accepted. If I wasn't so busy being a dad and earning a living I'd be still working on it and my module...