Author Topic: Scripts that stop working on Save and Load Game?  (Read 900 times)

Legacy_Zeke

Scripts that stop working on Save and Load Game?
« on: May 13, 2016, 08:44:08 am »

Is there a list or something of scripts that are known to stop working when the game is loaded?

I remember two instances in the A Dance with Rogues where saving and loading created glitches. In one level your henchmen wait for you (they are still in the party) while you have to overcome an obstacle. After loading the game they teleport next to you.

In another scene you there are some walking and talking animations of a couple of NPC and if you save and load while they are running, the scripts stop executing.

I know that  the second part of The Bastard Of Kosigan is full of issues that can happen after loading the game.

Do you know the functions that are the culprits of such problems and are there any workarounds?

Legacy_Proleric

Scripts that stop working on Save and Load Game?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 09:41:47 am »

I haven't made a systematic study, but as a player I'd avoid save/load

- during conversation

- when NPCs are acting out a scene

- when companions are standing ground

The latter is a known engine bug, not confined to ADWR.

As a builder, there are things I ought to do, but sometimes forget:

- use cutscenes when appropriate

- reboot custom walkwaypoints etc on load

- force mission critical conversations

- horse issues

Players really can't be expected to know when bugs might arise from this. I tend to save often, using at least three save files in rotation, so that I can get back to (last save - 2).