Author Topic: brilliant energy weapons?  (Read 444 times)

Legacy_Bluebomber4evr

brilliant energy weapons?
« on: September 04, 2011, 07:01:36 am »

I tried looking for some on the Vault but all I could find are visual haks; I couldn't find anything that replicates the weapons' abilities.

Has anyone tried to script this? For reference, here's what the d20 SRD says about brilliant energy weapons:

Brilliant Energy

A brilliant energy weapon has its significant portion transformed into
light, although this does not modify the item’s weight. It always gives
off light as a torch (20-foot radius). A brilliant energy weapon ignores
nonliving matter. Armor and shield bonuses to AC (including any enhancement bonuses
to that armor) do not count against it because the weapon passes
through armor. (Dexterity, deflection, dodge, natural armor, and other
such bonuses still apply.) A brilliant energy weapon cannot harm undead,
constructs, and objects. This property can only be applied to melee weapons, thrown weapons, and ammunition.

Strong transmutation; CL 16th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, gaseous form, continual flame; Price +4 bonus.

Is this even possible in the NWN engine?

Legacy_Hardcore UFO

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:00:42 am »

Maybe an on-hit property that checks the opponent's shield and chest slots as well as race. Then an AB adjustment occurs, where the weilder gets AB equal to the opponent's shield and armor values (though I don't know how to make this not count toward the cap), and another condition to reduce damage to 0 if it's of the 2 races mentioned or a placeable (though I think STR bonus still applies). This would be kludgy, though, and the first hit on anything would always at least be at normal AB, if not at full damage too.

That said I am not adept with NWNX yet, so maybe it is possible.

Legacy__Guile

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 01:18:52 pm »

You could not by pass the armor check, unfortunately, and the only way you could make the item NOT deal damage to a specific race is to give it damage to all other races (undesirable).

You could on hit get the target's AC and then apply a bonus to the attacker, but that would make the weapon godly then.

Legacy_Failed.Bard

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 03:17:46 pm »

It's not possible as a standard attack item, but it is possible as an on use property.

Essentially, you're wanting to call a TouchAttackMelee or TouchAttackRanged instead of the normal attack functions, but doing it in this way limits you to only one attack a round.

It's important, that if you do go that way with it, that you add something like this when you call the touched attack:
 SignalEvent   (oTarget, EventSpellCastAt (oUser, -1, TRUE));

Otherwise it won't break invisibility on a missed attack.

Legacy_Bluebomber4evr

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 07:43:38 pm »

Gah, sounds like it would only work in a real kludgy way, then. That answers why nobody's made them after all this time. Thanks for the replies, guys!